Thursday, January 8, 2009

Train of thought…

Sometimes my train of thought amazes me. On my run this morning, I noticed the “earliest residents of San Jose walked over this spot” monument in the sidewalk. I think it’s funny that that exact spot is marked, but figure it’s cool to think about. Long ago, some peeps strolled through this area and thought it was great. Then I wondered who was living there before…if anyone…I assume there were people, though. Which made me think of the Pilgrims and how they found the Native Americans…I mean, who gave the pilgrims the right to claim the land? Just ‘cause they came from other “claimed land?” Is that enough? I guess so. “Civilized” takes over “uncivilized” all the time…but how come the Native Americans weren’t as “civilized” as the Pilgrims? Why hadn’t they developed guns and other stuff? I guess living off the land was enough… But why have some of us developed so much compared to other areas (US vs mid-Africa, for example)? What do we have that they don’t? Money, I suppose…and power…but how the heck did we get it? Why are we so special? Thanks to my ancestors, I guess…somehow they jumped on this train. Am I thankful, though? I have so much useless crap that I think I need…

And that’s what I thought about during part of my run this morn.

2 comments:

david golbitz said...

Girl, you crazy.

jj said...

You can borrow my copy of "Guns, Germs, and Steel" which studies those same questions.